View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 06:41 AM   #1780
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Ford does like to put in the absolute minimum effort into their GT offerings... probably why I've never owned a GT. But the thought occurred to me, why should they?

Do I think it would be cool if they did? Yeah, hell yeah. But from a business point of view, what does Ford have to gain by shooting for the performance crown with the GT? A much larger investment cost due to tons more R&D?

Let's say they went this route, what would they gain? Sales, they seem to be doing just fine. Better results in mag comparisons? Aside from us enthusiasts, who reads these? A pat on the back from us, said enthusiasts? Ok, sure, but what's that worth to them?

Look, I'm by no means rooting for them to do the bare minimum. Its actually a bit annoying, to someone that understands performance metrics, but from a profit producing/business side, I can understand it. Mustang, as it stands, doesn't need to lead the performance pack to accomplish the goal set for it by Ford. The car market isn't exactly a cash cow, so why invest more than necessary in a niche segment in a dwindling market?

Honestly, I imagine I'll still continue just not buying GT's, currently I'm always on the look out for a deal on a used GT350 to pick up, maybe a early Tech Pack car, but I'm in no real hurry.

Anyway, carry on. This was just like...my opinion...man.
Nobody can dispute it is a winning formula, it is just not the formula an enthusiasts wants to see. Watering down a performance car for business reasons has proven very successful, but it's very sad to see nonetheless.

I am fortunate it is currently not in my wheel house to drop $50K on a car, because outside that I would have bought a '17 GT350 by now I promise. I do not see a great deal of difference in price right now comparing '16 v '17 350's. Not enough a difference to not jump on a '17 anyway. For me, its Recaros and coolers or no thanks. The engine characteristics of the Voodoo are exactly what I am currently after in my sports cars. High revving N/A is a BLAST!!!