View Single Post
Old 01-27-2022, 07:14 PM   #26
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I just bought a Hybrid S at the end of last season.

Was planning on getting one anyway, but happen to have my first significant off-track excursion at VIR (90 mph at turn 10) last Sept. I lost the rear on corner entry (my fault) and had enough awareness and control to send the car to outside after the first catch-attempt failed. So no harm done to the car or me (just ran into the grass). But if I had hooked it to the inside, I surely would have crashed into the tire wall.

You don't necessarily need to be pushing really hard in order to have off-track excursion; Too much trail braking, too late into the brake zone, fluid on the track, etc. And when you do have an unexpected off, you can't be guaranteed to have plenty of run-off area in front of you (some tracks just don't have tons of run-off at all corners).

I'm relieved to hear that ZL1+911 got away from his crash without any bodily harm. But not all of us might be so lucky. I've read somewhere that crash systems in road cars are designed for 35mph impacts, not 2-3 times that like we routinely see at HPDE.

It just makes sense to me to try to protect your head from BSF. I'll draw the line at installing a cage/harness/etc because my car is for DD. The Hybrid S is a good option for those that want some extra protection beyond stock.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote