View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #14
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I appreciate the response Al.

The chart that was included from "one of the better launches" only shows about a 2.3 second 60'. Doesn't this confirm the problem? Or maybe the engineers at the proving grounds simply need more practice with the clutch?...

If it's so difficult to get a good launch that after a year in the public's hands practically nobody has learned to consistently launch the car, and the manufacturer's provided example of "one of the better launches" has a 2.3 60' time, then maybe the problem isn't the driver?

Also, if I understand correctly, the published performance numbers are derived from averages from actual runs... Since this run was from "one of the better launches", and there were no missed shifts or anything, I assume this was also one of the better 1/4 mile times. Therefore, I'd expect this run to be faster than an 11.8, but it isn't.

Here are the numbers I derived from the chart. I believe them to be accurate to +-0.02. (After I calculated the numbers, it became clear why the numbers weren't shared in the response.)

Code:
60'    2.30 @  36.33 MPH
330'   5.42 @  78.34 MPH
660'   7.94 @ 100.04 MPH
1320' 11.89 @ 125.86 MPH
This certainly is an exceptional run that beats my best time by a couple tenths (of course I don't have a private track though). Given the high MPH, I'd say the car had some pretty cool air to work with, but unfortunately, it still didn't reach the advertised 1/4 mile time for the ZL1 M6 Coupe.

You'll have to forgive me for not celebrating this response. I appreciate the effort that the team put into the response, but I don't think it proves in any way that the M6 ZL1 doesn't have an issue. If anything, it confirms it.

I really wish the Camaro team would just admit that this car has an issue and offer a fix.

If anyone would like to check my numbers, here's a zip of the excel file I used.

Attachment 919213
Travis,

Thanks for posting that data.

Did you account for a 1ft roll-out (like at a dragstrip)? With that, I calculate a 1/4 mile time of 11.62s @ 125.9mph, with a 2.03s 60'.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote