View Single Post
Old 08-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #35
smithb

Drives: 2016 LT
I wasn't even referring to that whole set-up. GM Performance Parts was originally going to offer just the cold air intake by itself, but you had to buy it from the dealer as the tune was required. Ie it wasn't an option to buy it from the catalog and install yourself.

Meh, let him spend hundreds on parts and get the nice initial surge of power. He won't notice it fade as the ECM adjusts.

Reminds me of the last gen 2.0 turbo I had in a Saturn Sky Redline. You could adjust the rod that connected the actuator to the waste gate and get an instant increase in power. Everyone started doing it and raving about it in the forums. Until people started reporting back that the power faded after a hundred or so miles as the computer adjusted and "recalibrated" how it actuated the waste gate and started dumping boost earlier in the rpm band. Same thing happened with all other mods to that motor... initial surge, then fade.

Then GM came out with a new sensor and tune that bumped the 260/260 hp/tq to 290/340, and it was literally just a tune and a higher pressure transducer to read the higher boost levels. No intake or exhaust needed, the engine came from the factory fully capable of putting down those numbers if the ECU let it (and could read the pressures). Just like our Camaro.

https://www.skyroadster.com/threads/...e-facts.28303/

The guys who spent hundreds on bolt-ons finally figured out you couldn't apply 60's muscle car know-how to a modern electronically controlled turbo charged motor.
smithb is offline   Reply With Quote