Thread: GT350 to SS1LE?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 07:00 AM   #13
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
Well to update everyone I traded in my 18 GT350 for a 2020 SS1LE. I fell in love on the test drive.

My impressions:
Pros of the SS1LE:
Better low end torque.
Gearbox feels slightly more precise.
Camaro feels lighter and more nimble
Steering feel is a little lighter but very communicative.
Recaro seats are more comfortable in the SS1LE than the Recaro’s in the GT350
You sit lower in the Camaro and I felt more connected to the road
HUD is awesome
I much prefer the size and shape of the SS1LE steering wheel
Active rev match is fun (and yes I can heel and toe)
Love the wheels. Best looking and aggressive wheels I have owned.
Much more affordable

Cons:
Vodoo sounds way better. I definitely need to research exhaust mods but even then Vodoo will be very hard to beat.
I like the Camaro more below 5K RPM and the GT350 more above 5K rpm.
Visibility is better in the GT350
GT350 has more interior space
Brakes on the GT350 have better initial bite.
18 GT350 has softer plastics and more alcantara in the door panels

I feel like I will be faster in the SS1LE on the track. I’m trying to follow break in but this car is so confidence inspiring to drive. Overall I just think the SS1LE is a better fit for me. Just needs better exhaust note!

Obligatory picture:
Congrats! I got the same color 2020

Keep in mind the steering effort can be adjusted. Ditto exhaust mode. It does sound different and better in Track vs Tour. The steering effort is also quite different due to less assist in the former - if you prefer it.
You may also wish to check out my sticky on PTM modes. Just read the first post, as it has it all.
Regarding break in period: 1500 miles is needed for the ELSD. That's important. Suggest new diff fluid after the break in.

PS I had driven a friend's GT350 and stretched its legs in the twisties in Arizona.
Clearly a special Stang, but *way* overpriced. Not nearly as well balanced as the 1LE. The seats were ok but not as good either. The clutch engagement sucked. The shifter was nice. And unless on a track, not nearly as much usable power, either. The exhaust note is nice, but after a while it gets a bit old and over the top imo.
My friend's car used ridiculous amount of oil, which clearly was an issue. He didnt care as it was a 2 year lease. Somebody will inherit a problem here. Another (track) friend's car puked oil twice while on track. Something to do with seals apparently.

PSS it took all of a 15min test drive for me to buy my first 17 1LE. The car is superbly capable right out of the box, with alignment and proper brake fluid. Also, easy to push in capable hands and can embarrass many exotics.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote