Thread: So Long LT-5
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Can you trust an article that leaves it as the LT4 in the ZL1 is "the big stick" in GM's arsenal? No because that is not true. The CT5 V Blackwing has an additional 18 HP (rumored to be heading to the ZL1).

This is why the LT5 is a $30,000 plus engine premium. Everyone Poo Poos me when I ask do you want a $100,000 Camaro? Probably a bit South of that but not by much. And what GM charges for the LT5 has ZERO to do with what Ford charges for the GT500. GM set this engine up to BE low volume. It was never intended to go into other products (unlike the Cadillac Blackwing that died with Omega). 3,000 units x $30,000 is $90,000,000 which likely covered the develpment costs, tooling and the extra piece cost for this engine. So GM likely didn't lose much on this swan song for the C7.

Speaking of swan songs, maybe GM tucks a few of these away for a farewell to ICE powered Camaros in a year or so. Fingers crossed......but it won't be cheap.