View Single Post
Old 08-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #10
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Painter's tape is not necessary thick enough to protect you from all rock chips. Temporary stuff like track armor looks bad in pictures and takes too much time to apply on a complex front bumper like the Camaro's if you track more than a few times per year. Best to cough up the money for a pro to do an Xpel wrap beforehand or just plan to eventually replace or repaint the front bumper if you track a lot and manage with touchup paint.

My unprotected front bumper has tons of rock chips from the track if you look up close but it looks fine from a few feet away.

I would recommend windshield protection film like Stek too especially if you have HUD unless you have low cost glass replacement on your insurance. OEM Camaro SS 1LE windshield replacements are around $900 installed if you have PDR and HUD. HUD may not look as good on aftermarket windshields. My windshield now has 2 cracks, several bullseye rock marks, and tons of very small chips/pitting which is only visible in direct sunlight after 20+ track days and a lot of street driving.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote