View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
GM dealer used European Formula 0w-40

For weeks I've debated back and forth with myself on whether I would take my car to the dealership for the 1500 mile oil change. Over the past 20 years, I've NEVER used the "free" oil changes that come with the car. I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy and I prefer to wrench on my own cars. Plus, to be honest, I simply don't trust others to touch my vehicles. Compound that with the endless number of horror-stories you hear about dealership service and for me, the $50-100 savings wasn't worth the risk/stress/hassle.

However, with the reports of the oil-pump issues on the ZL1, I figured it might be wise to have the dealership do it, so I at least have the oil-change documented in their system. That's how I justified it, and that's what I repeated to myself over and over as I nervously pulled into the service bay at my local stealership.

Upon check-in, I inquired whether they would use 0w-40 Mobil 1 synthetic. The service guy indicated that they would do that as long as they had it in stock - he called back to the work-bay area and confirmed that they did indeed have it. Excellent - that's all I needed to know. They promptly took the car back and 45 mins later, returned it. I checked the receipt to confirm that 10 qts was used (it was actually 9.4) and at a glance everything looked good.

Upon arrival back at home, I was filing the paperwork in my office and decided to check the Part number listed on the receipt. A quick Google search revealed that the part #: 88862479 is actually not the Dexos2 0w-40, but the European Spec 0w-40.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...62479/10002/-1

To my original point about the oil pump failure issues, does it make sense to drain this immediately and swap it out with the Dexos2 stuff (that I had already bought back when I intended to it myself)? Or am I over-concerned about nothing?

Seems ashame to waste 10 qts of oil, but better than the alternative of possible engine damage, right?