View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #41
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Have you tried pulling the ABS fuse out for Autocross and see how the car responds in the same situations?

I have seen numerous threads about "Ice Mode" on both Camaro forums and Corvette forums.

I have also experienced this condition myself at Autocross but never at a road course track.

But I have found that in Autocross when trying to set a faster time the tendency is to accelerate full throttle until the very last possible minute (and oftentimes later than where braking should begin because we all get greedy with this) and then jump off the gas and stomp the brake pedal to full pressure. There is no time for weight to transfer to the front tires in this situation so you are going to easily overpower the front tires and lock them up otherwise.

At the track I get on the brakes differently. I press the brake pedal about 50% to get the brakes activated, get the weight transferred to the front tires and let the car settle into it's "braking stance" and then I give the brake pedal full pressure. This all happens quickly but it's not a stomp of the brake pedal.

In any performance driving, smoother transitions of weight will make the car/suspension happier. So I have tried to retrain myself in Autocross to try and not go until the very last minute (because normally I would get greedy on this anyhow and go too far). So I back my braking start point up a little so I can be smoother with the brake apply. I think this helps be smoother through the corner as well.

I guess one way you can test to see if the "Ice Mode" was activating on you even if you feel the physics of the situation indicate it should not have happened is to find the fuse for your ABS module and pull it out for Autocross. This would disable your ABS system so you can drive without any ABS intervention. Then go and try to repeat the situations that caused your "Ice Mode" to activate and see what the response of the car is. I'm betting that most of the time "Ice Mode" activated that if ABS did not intervene you would lock up the front tires and you still would not slow down very well but you would also flat spot the tires.

It's an easy thing to do to try and test the car's response in similar situations without having to really spend a bunch of money on any mods.