View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #73
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I was adamant in the thought that GM was not going to put the LT5 in the Camaro. But now I think it is a possibility. I think maybe a 25% possibility. But a possibility nonetheless.

Looking at the 700+ HP cars out there, how many can be had for the price of a ZL1? Not one. If GM puts the LT5 in the ZL1 and calls it a Z28 then what kind of price hike are we talking about? Remember how horribly the last Z28 sold at $70K+? Ok so the ZLE is at $70K MSRP. But how many people are buying them? Throw the LT5 in the ZLE and you'll see $80K easily. Who is buying a Camaro for $80K? I sure as hell ain't. Well maybe. But will they sell enough of them? I doubt it.

The only way this would work is if GM built a very limited amount of them and made sure they were all sold or most of them were sold beforehand. But I think the market for an $80K and up RWD high HP fair weather vehicle is dwindling. It is getting harder and harder to justify paying the money they're asking for these cars.

So I don't think it's a matter of GM doing it so much as being a matter of who is gonna buy it. Honestly, most people with $80K and up who are buying GM are looking at Corvettes. Because no matter how good and how much HP a ZL1 has, it is still a Camaro. And people who want to differentiate from the Camaro crowd are buying Corvettes. Honestly that is why I'm probably switching over to Vettes. Because my ZL1 is still a Camaro. And Vettes just have a completely different vibe to them. Anyway the ZL1 sold because it is basically a 3LZ-optioned Camaro with the same engine but in a Camaro and for about half the price. I don't think a Z28 with the LT5 and full options will be priced decently enough to make people buy it.
GT500 sales plus Dealer ADM will show just how many are willing to spend 80+ on a pony car with 700+ HP.

Demon sales support this niche market as well. Chevy has never even attempted to offer competitive HP to Dodge and Ford. ZL1 is a great car, but it's strength is handling. Straight line, it is out muscled by Dodge and will be by the GT500 as well.

As for Corvettes, I shopped plenty of C6 ZR1s before I bought my C2 GS Mongoose Motorsports car. That was before baby. I plan on keeping the GS, but the next car won't be another Vette, it will be a newer Camaro, so either a ZL1 or an LT5 powered Camaro which I'm hoping for. I already have a road course car, so I don't need another ultimate handling Camaro, the Z/28 showed that was a bad sales pitch at a high cost. The Demon has shown that a monster straight line HP machine will sell.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote