View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #38
Z0Tex
@texan.1le

Drives: '18 Camaro 1SS 1LE, PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
on the 17 they are T50. GM has been known to use whatever they have as long as it works. most likely yours will be T50
Can confirm that the bolts in question are a T50 on a 2018 SS (1LE, but should be the same for all SS trims).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
Z0Tex has told me that the original version of the 30mm plugs are too big to fit a V8 intake pipe orifice.
30mm is the correct size for V6 intakes though.
I will re-design them once I receive measurements and then post the corrected versions.
I found an older thread that mentioned 15/16" (23.8mm) as possibly being the proper size but that needs confirmation.

Thanks very much for testing them Sean, I appreciate it.
No problem! This was a fun experience getting to test fit these parts and find a combination that works!

Copied over from the "What did you do to your Camaro today" thread...

Deleted my sound tube with a custom 3D-printed intake plug and firewall plug set. Designed by DIYGuy here on Camaro6 (files will be available on thingaverse soon for V6 and V8 cars). Friend of mine at work printed the parts in ABS for me. Excellent fitment and the bowtie on the intake plug is a nice touch!

Here are the final iterations of the intake plug for the SS models. I used the one on the left that has the flare that more closely copies the factory sound tube plug. A bead of black RTV up under the cap and around the flare has held the plug in quite securely and there are no leaks. I was able to reuse the factory flared nut to hold the firewall plug in place. The only thing you have to add to the firewall plug is a portion of 1/8" foam tape (pipe wrap tape) to make help make a good seal to the firewall. My pre-installation photos of the completed firewall plug seem to have gone missing...

Also, make sure you print these parts in ABS plastic! The more common PLA material, while it is considerably cheaper and easier on printers, is not strong enough to hold up to the temperatures that it will face under the hood of the car. The parts need to be printed in a material that has a higher heat resistance.