View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 09:32 PM   #25
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
So I also forgot to add my car was hit on the passenger side rear wheel when I first got it, it ended up breaking the CV shaft and bending a bunch of stuff and maybe some other stuff I can't remember.

I kind of wondered if maybe the high impact could have jarred something. I can't really tell if one of the right or left spider (side) gears are any more losse and jiggeling around than the other. I guess if one side looses preload than both loose preload at the same time?

I wonder if I could try to press the pin out of the carrier and try to take it apart? I guess it can't hurt anything since its got broken teeth and you can't buy parts for it. I am really hoping maybe someone broke their covers or maybe cooler or the whole cast carrier with welded ring gear to it and maybe they can use it or I can sell it, I hate it when I just have wasted things I can't do anything with or can't sell them or even give them away.

I know there was a thread on here a long time ago about the ring gear being welded to the carrier assembly which is the main reason that locks us out of gear changes. It looks like a laser weld and probably something the average shop couldn't replicate.

However, I would think if GKN does really make this there maybe some parts sharing with other platforms that may have some aftermarket.. maybe?
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote