View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 09:10 PM   #24
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
What a mess inside. This is a rhetorical question, but why are there not more of these differentials failing?

No response from AAM?! I’d like to say I’m surprised but it seems par for the course. So many industries don’t offer support. I really believe they’d rather you buy an new differential versus letting you buy parts to do your own repair.

I remember blowing a 10 bolt (I knew it was a weak link) and replaced it with a 9”. Piece of cake after narrowing the housing and getting shorter axles. Granted it wasn’t IRS but the 9” had and still has robust support for upgraded parts.
Did you have to do much shimming to get the backlash and stuff right? I want to do more gear changing projects but I have never really tried this process myself, it doesn't seem to difficult the problem seems to be not so quantitative and open to interpretation trying to read the gear contact patch and getting it right. Seems like it could easily turn into a PITA not getting it right and running parts over and over again.

And yes no response from AAM, but I really don't think they make anything for this differential or driveshaft or anything.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote