View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Good in-depth review. One point I can agree with wholeheartedly is that the A10 is too good of a transmission to be in the Mustang. Especially the EB Mustang (that just makes no damn sense). And I'm tempted to say it doesn't belong in the SS also. But I think between the two the SS deserves it while the GT doesn't really deserve it. I think for GM it should have been available in the ZL1 only for the 6th Gen and then put into the SS, LS, and LT for the 7th Gen. For Ford it should have been the same way but maybe throw as an option for the Bullitt or GT500 for the S550. Oh well.
Glad you liked the long read!

The A10 is an advantage. The added number of gear ratios allows for greater, specific tuning towards each engine's power curve. So, it only makes sense to take advantage of that opportunity is possible. But, to me, it just seems like the is a fairly poignant gap of engineering accomplishment between the Ford A10 and the rest of the S550 as a package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Great Post and review! I also moved on from my 16 M6 SS to a new car. And while I told myself I would look at the 2018 GT before buying another car, that did not happen. I really did not want to pay extra for the PP2 since tracking was not a priority for me. And the PP1 seemed hardly worth it if the handling is not that far off the base car.

After reading more about the new GT I just didn't bother driving one. I have rented several and I do like them. But if there was no Camaro, I for sure I would own one. Instead I just skipped over the GT and the SS and got it all with the ZL1. Loaded SSes and GTs are approaching low end ZL1 prices so why not go big? Also since drag racing is more my style I went with the A10. I swore also I would not go auto, but in the end the built in GM M6 bog and an A10 test drive changed my mind. In addition I find myself enjoying long drives more now. Am I getting old? Oops! Too late to worry about that.
Thanks for the kudos!

I completely get you. You have the exact reasons why I skipped the Mustang GT (PP1 and PP2). Honestly, for what the PP2 is, I feel you are, financially, better off getting a PP1 (better ABS tuning, chassis tweaks, performance apps and Torsen diff) and buying suspension bits to upgrade it to-and-above what the PP2 is. That is, if you actually track the car. The Mustang seems like it is more of an "add parts" build than an integrated package like the FE4 setup in the SS 1LE and ZL1 or FEA in the ZL1 1LE, to where it more than a matter of going lower, stiffer and wider.

I was the same with the A10 when driving the Mustang. Although I was impressed with the upgrades Ford did with the MT-82-D4, which is how that transmission should've been since 2011, with the PP2 out of my rational thought process, I then began focusing on a PP1 with A10 that I could modify. But, then S550 platform fell short of "wowing" me.

I was half expecting some M6G guys to come on here and bash me. In all honestly, I hope none of those take my comments to heart. I do not hate the Mustang. Far from it! Just, in respect to a driver's car or performance car, I don't think it's it...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote