View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #14
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
I can find reasons to rain on anyone’s parade regardless of which method they use short of a full commercial lift system.

I would challenge anyone to find jack stands that will fit both the pinch welds and the add-on lift points. The problem I’ve found with jack stands is they don’t fit either. I tried two different sets and wound up returning them. Granted I haven’t tried them all, but after two that failed to properly engage the pinch welds I didn’t have much enthusiasm about running all over town looking for ones that would. Even then I wouldn’t have anything that would fit the lift-points.

Good scissors jacks aren’t junk. One advantage is they have no hydraulic seals which can burst, so provided they are stable they are quite safe. One problem some of them have is they are inherently unstable if they have no limit to how high they go. So if extended too far they are unstable. Another problem is they don’t work well on surfaces that aren’t level, which is a problem with most jacks.

I thought about modifying the saddle to fit the lift points, but after giving it a try I decided against it. There’s really no easy way they are going to slide off. The lift points aren’t flat and angle down in the middle. To slide forward or aft they would have to slide several inches which isn’t likely unless you fail to chock the car (which is a recipe for disaster regardless of method). The angle of the lift point is going to resist sliding side to side and the jacks are more stable in that direction.
Been using these for years. They fit the Camaro as well as every other car I've had to pick up for the last 20 yrs just fine.

https://www.sears.com/ac-delco-2-ton...&blockType=G39

If it were me I'd lose the lift blocks. Don't see the point of them.

As for the Scissor jacks. All I can say is make sure your health insurance is paid up and you have the correct beneficiary on you life insurance.

In all seriousness. I've see scissor jacks like those collapse a half dozen times or more and have personally had a car fall off one when someone closed the door. Not going to try to talk you out of this but we will submit you for the Darwin award winner of the year.

https://www.memecenter.com/fun/54827...ward-candidate
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote