View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 06:59 AM   #42
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
Same here. My Vert C6 had accurate gauges.

If I started the car up. Ten days of sitting. The Volt Meter showed it.
Sometimes below 10V.

The Water Temp took several minutes of me crawling down my gravel road before she started to climb up.

Do you think all of the readouts are inaccurate, just idiot lights?
My water gauge in my SS hits home and stays there no matter what the conditions are.
I'm thinking the same thing...
At least the Speedometer and Odometer are Correct.... Hopefully.
I would love to hook up a decent scan tool and actually monitor what the coolant temp is doing while driving, see if it is pretty steady like the gauge seems to tell us. Or does the temp fluctuate from 195° to 220° during normal driving and the gauge is telling us, "you're fine, don't worry about it" since it's within normal operation range.

As far as the other gauges.

Oil pressure seems to be somewhat accurate. Moves with engine operation. Higher when cold, lower when hot. Read out is rather vague, but still something to look at while driving.

Gas gauge seems accurate. Annoying that it drops down almost instantly after you fill up, but this is from decades of me being use to gas gauges staying at full for a while. Again rather vague readout vs the C6 that seemed to have a line on the gauge that matched each gallon of gas you had left.

Voltmeter. Ha. Seems to have a mind of it's own. Goes up to what I would think is normal charging voltage whenever it wants, but for the most part it look like it's sitting at 13v, not much more than static battery voltage. What I did notice is, after sitting for two weeks due to poor weather on my driving days, when I did get the car out the voltmeter spent a lot of time over 14v. I guess recharging the battery from the extended down time.

Engine temp. Ok I guess. Still the scaling seems tight.

Trans temp is the same, tight scaling with vague-ish readout.

The second oil pressure gauge, why we need two different oil pressure gauges I'll never understand, is no more accurate or easier to decipher than the normal oil pressure gauge.

Tachometer. Seems fine. Once again, very little gauge details as far as scale.

Speedo. Same thing. Seems accurate, just no line for each mph like the accuracy of the C6 cluster.

Though the Camaro cluster is much better than the C7 corvette. The C7 may have better screen display options, but the actual gauges suck. Speedo is pointless below 80mph, and they chose an actual fuel gauge over a physical tachometer. The two physical gauges are speedo and fuel, where the camaro had speedo and tach, if left to choose, I pick tach over fuel.

Again, this is just me being spoiled by what I thought was an excellent instrument cluster in the C6. I could tell the water temp within a few degrees of actual as shown by a Dashhawk. All cluster readings were accurate and you knew what each one said almost to the degree.