View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #21
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Take a look at a few 5w-40’s and their kinematic viscosities, viscosity index, ZDDP ppm, and sulfate ppm. Most I've see are as good or worse than 0w-40.

In example, if you look at the Mobil 1 0w-40 (FS in specific, also to the ESP) and compare it to:
Valvoline 5w-40 MST (Dexos 2)
-Kinematic viscosities are nearly the same.
-The VI much lower
-HTHS is nearly the same

Motul 5w-40 8100 (Dexos2)
-Low temperature kinematic viscosity is higher, but high temperature kinematic viscosity is nearly the same
-The VI is lower
-HTHS is the same
-ZDDP is unkown
-Sulfated ash is lower
https://www.motul.com/rs/en/products/8100-x-clean-5w40

Mobil 1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel (non-Dexos 2)
-Low temperature kinematic viscosity is higher, but high temperature kinematic viscosity is nearly the same
-The VI is much lower
-HTHS is nearly the same
-ZDDP is the same/nearly the same
-Sulfated ash is nearly the same
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...o-diesel-truck

I 100% agree with you from a theoretical point of view. When you look at the test qualifications, it leads me otherwise.

Remeber, VI and VII are related... it depends what kind of VIIs are used.

900+ppm ZDDP in a gasoline engine formulated oil is pretty damn good these days. Yes, going to a multi-applicable/diesel oil gets you more elevated ZDDP ppm, but you need to consider a few things: NOVACK and sufated ash; then whether youre going to run a catch-can.
All good points but frankly i have a 5 yr power train warranty std and thats a bottom line for me. And i wont use anything which isnt speced in the manual the car came with. And for the summer only 5w40 is a good choice imo. Plus easily available. But if GM were to override the manual and mandate Canola id switch in a heartbeat. Because they warranty the motor and everything else for that matter.

On a serious note i dont expect to keep my car beyond 3 yrs and bumper to bumper warranty. Part of my new dd and track dual use strategy as i got older and started to dislike a PITA factor. With my Vette track queen which i used to beat on for some 10 yrs i used mobil 1 5w30 exclusively and motor ran strong and still is under a new owner who continues to track her regularly. Even with some power mods (cam etc) and not even a catch can.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote