View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #17
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Because the number proceeding the W (which stands for "winter") is representative of oil viscosity at minus 18C (0F) while the second number following the W is representative of oil viscosity at plus 100C and is completely unrelated to the first number. Hence the name "multi grade oil". Hence a 5w40 oil will provide the same necessary viscosity protection at operating temps as 0W40.

And since we dont get cold temps in summer time where i live there is no specific reason to use oil which provides max cold start capabilities such as 0W. Having said that many manufacturers use them as they provide best cold start protection (obviously and specifically in winter).

NB some experts will argue that using too low a winter start grade in hot climates may actually be counter productive (to proper protection at a start time).
+1
I wouldn't want to use a 0w oil unless I had to, or it was required.

I would prefer to use a 5w40 if I could versus the 0w40 they are offering us.

Important ingredients in oil are phosphorus and zinc, both wear reducing elements. Both have been reduced in our oil to protect cat converter warranties.

Here a good Mobil 1 chart that gives you Zinc and Phosphorus ppm's.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...pecs-guide.pdf

The 0w40 they are offering is better than the 5w30 as far as additives, but not the best we could be using.
I used the Turbo Diesel 5w40 in my previous LS3 and LS2 engines and both were much quieter than before, less sewing machine noise, and both had better oil pressure when hot.

As you can see on the chart the European and TD oils have more anti wear additives than most of the others.