View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 10:29 PM   #14
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
If it wasn't for the government, the EPA, liability, and lawyers I think GM would completely open everything up.

I think GM wants the customer to be able to do most things, minus stuff like air bags and other things to minimize liability. They know a lot of the sales come from people who want to make them better and faster.

The EPA has required "security" ever since ODB2 in 1996 so this is not new and it has always been "illegal" to modify your vehicle and drive it on roads that we tax payers pay for. The manufactures then had to implement this security but it is easy to get around. I think GM is doing just enough to satisfy the government and EPA and maybe in some cases intentionally not fixing backdoors in the system.

However, unfortunately this whole situation is changing. With the do gooders pushing this driverless car fantasy we will now see a complete lockdown of all systems. There won't be any more backdoors. If this fantasy happens (which I actually don't think, at least in my lifetime, we will see a true, the way everyone thinks of, driverless car) GM wants to be sure they don't open themselves up to liability.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote