View Single Post
Old 11-07-2022, 04:30 AM   #34
cariboocreek

Drives: 2023 Corvette C8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCatGr View Post
Hey folks,

I, too, was rather surprised to find no spare tire, just the repair kit! I read this thread and others about the $$Modern Spare option, or run flats, etc. Due to the weight of the car, the low stance, and the chance of getting stuck out in bumsuck country, I wanted a FULL SIZED spare that wouldn't break the bank. Here's my solution complete with images and video for illustration/proof of concept.

I have a plain 2017 LS V6 model, but as was mentioned with the Modern Spare for the SS with extra large/wide Brembo calipers, this can still be viable option with an inexpensive spacer, they have universal styles 1" or thinner for around $22.00 on eBay. Here's an item, and links to seller as well for FYI.

Universal wheel spacer
https://www.ebay.com/usr/speedway_mo...p2047675.l2559
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-B.../381324126726?

Okay, let's get started. I learned that the early model Camaro Steel rims have same lug spacing/center opening and are only 7.5" wide. The Rim was $67.00 on Ebay Shipped.

Found that a 215/55R-18 tire will be about 9" wide mounted, and the same height ~27" as OEM. I got a used one for $50.00, you can find some no name generic NEW ones around $60-70 as well!

But you can see it's no where as wide as OEM, but still several inches wider than the ~5" Modern Spare!

The Next problem is the JACK. Saw the inflatable ones for 4x4's and thought they would be better, fit under the frame easier especially when 1 tire is flat. They have them in 4 ton and lighter 3 ton models. I got the 3 ton type for about $87.00 off eBay. It's supposed to be able to inflate with the Exhaust, but the scavenging cone is the same diameter as the single tip on mine, tried plugging the other tip with rags, but the volume was just too little,or was leaking around mating edge, thought about cutting it down so it might fit more snugly INSIDE the cone of the exhaust tip, but just didn't bother.

The kit also provides a schrader valve tip for use with a compressor, I was at my house, so I used my large compressor, but it should work with a small cig lighter/access powered mini compressor, just will take a little while!

The other thing was WHERE to position it under the frame. There is a frame member behind the front wheel, just need to push it far enough under the frame, I first had too much sticking out around the body and the jack bag tried to squeeze out the side some. Repositioned and reinflated and worked fine.

The rear tire lift point is more problematic, because there are several insulation mounting pins/bolts sticking out/downward and could puncture the jack bag.

So, I think the better place would be under the axle/swingarm section just inward of the rear tire.

I used a large tire T-wrench, it needs to have a 7/8" size to fit the lug nuts.

Here's a short video clip showing the jack/bag inflated enough to lift the front wheel off the ground.
:link in case embed doesn't work.

https://i.imgur.com/IWhCEdA.mp4

Here's the spare mounted on the axle, plenty of clearance of OEM calipers.

Video of same:
https://i.imgur.com/yBxxj6f.mp4

Finally, showing that this 9" wide wheel/tire will fit into the trunk opening, and inside and still not take up too much space, jack bad fits inside of wheel recess, wrench on side, that's my emergency tool kit bungeed down.

Okay, that's it, just showing another option for those that really want a full sized spare for piece of mind, YMMV.

T.C.
Lol. Now do a convertible.

A valid credit card, cell phone, and tow hook is all you really need.

Run flat tires simply suck.
2019 Camaro SS Convertible
2019 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
2013 Corvette Grand Sport
2013 Challenger SRT 392
1995 Camaro Z28
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote