Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Great post, so rarely seen around here
Definitely not from me
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Well, on a GT in purely highway driving, the tank size is fine. It's once when you get in town that you might get in trouble. On a GT350 and GT500, however, it definitely becomes an issue as their highway mileage isn't nearly as good.

Again, no one drives to 100% empty, so realistically I think you would get 350 miles on highways before fueling. On a track, you probably also don't want to go too low on gas as fuel starvation can happen as it sloshes around when it gets too low and lean spikes are deadly, especially on an engine with forced induction. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with the needle below 1/8 of a tank on a track. 1/4 would get my attention already.

As for the weight reduction argument, can't say I agree with that. These pony cars are already a little front heavy and so a little fuel in the back is a good thing. And 50 pounds, which is how much half a tank weighs on a Mustang, isn't all that much in a car of that kind of power, and it's not to mention that's sprung mass. I don't even believe fuel weight played much role in acceleration in my RX-8, which is a lighter car(so the fuel amount would have much relative impact on the weight) with a slightly bigger tank(about 5 litre/1.3 gallon more) on the Mustang, and that thing has a lot less power and torque compared to the V8 ponies.

Sent from toaster or something
I do not like going less than a quarter tank for the very reasons you mentioned. It could be catastrophic. I have seen and heard way too many horror stories. I would rather be safe and have no worries than save a few pounds and win some silly race. There are some times when I am at a quarter or eighth tank but in those cases I just granny drive. You figure if you're at a quarter tank on a 19 gal capacity then that is about 5 gallons. On a 16 gal tank that is about 4. At an eighth you have about 2 gallons which is not safe at all even for NA engines. Definitely not safe for my cars. It isn't worth the risk.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote