View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #7925
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Actually nobody is complaining about the fuel efficiency. If you read and understood the comments (you didn't), you would have saw that what we're talking about is the size of the fuel tank. Where the competing cars have 19+ gallon tanks the GT500 has like a 17 gallon tank which is significant in a car as portly as the GT500 is. Get your facts straight.
I did, actually, see my post above which quotes (I missed doing that in my previous post) the post referring to mpgs that I was responding to. My point was mainly to show the cars aren't that far apart on the mpg spectrum. The smaller tank is an issue for range, agreed; however, I wasn't responding to fuel tank size, though. I admit I was a bit aggressive with the "complaining" comment.

Quote:
Regardless of what your magazine claims, there have been several complaints that the GT500 barely makes 1 lap on some tracks on a full tank. Whereas the ZL1 and ZLE can make several laps. So maybe C&D tested the cars going at 50 MPH in top gear or something. Who knows? Who cares? Fact is when these cars are driven daily under normal conditions the GT500 will get significantly less miles per tank than a ZL1 or HC. Several GT500 owners have already mentioned that they have to make frequent gas station stops.
HAHAHA barely make one lap w/ 16 gallons? What track is this you are referring to? This is why people laugh at you. Even at 2 mpg, the GT500 could go 32 miles.

Quote:
Or maybe they built the car correctly whereas Ford had to do a rush job on the GT500. This all goes back to those conversations we had way back when about how Ford had to re-do other stuff (GT350, PP2) which is probably what cut into the time they had to develop the GT500 properly. Because a lot of this stuff that we keep talking about with the GT500 is sounding like it is a very undercooked turkey.
Quote from Randy Pobst (per MT article): "The incredible performance capability of these two new Shelbys moves the Mustang into the supercar realm, it pleases me to claim. They will not disappoint. In fact, they both provide such thrills that they are a good value even at these prices, driving with confidence-inspiring and consistent speed that is rare to find at any price."

I'll take his word for it over yours; someone who hasn't even driven one, and obviously not anywhere near the driver Pobst is (none of us are). It doesn't sound like it's an undercooked turkey to me based on a race car driver's take. And it's no secret he likes the Camaros, so that's high praise for the GT500s, IMO.

Quote:
Well when these are "track cars" and one is 173 pounds heavier and all that weight is on the nose then that kinda makes a big difference. Especially when the GT500 roasts the tires after 1 lap, burns thru the fuel tank in one lap, voids the warranty just for taking it on the track in the first place, and has a much steeper price. Again, it isn't just one issue with the GT500. It is several issues which we first starting hearing about when they first started to release the specs. The ZLE will destroy the GT500 in any configuration on the track. And it has way better options and costs much less.
Agree, 4,059 lbs for the CFTP is heavy. But everyone needs to stop pretending that the ZL1/ZLE is some lightweight in comparison. The ZLE A10 weighs nearly 3,900 lbs. FWIW the regular ZL1 A10 is 3,933 lbs. Also, C&D weighed the base GT500 in a test and it was about 4,150 lbs +/- IIRC (I can't find the article). They weigh their cars w/ full fuel tanks. That said, the DCT is responsible for about 75-100 lbs of those pounds over the A10 IIRC, and the beefier driveline and chassis and brakes are responsible for the rest. If GM gave the ZL1 another 100 hp (ahem, LT5), it would also weigh more than the LT4 version, it's the nature of the higher powered beasts.

Quote:
Yea let us know when you get your $90K GT500 bro.
I wouldn't pay markup for one, for the record. And, I'd rather have a C7 Z06 or a C8 Z06 over a GT500. That said, I'm perfectly content with my GT and plan to keep it for a long time (2 years and counting).

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is online now   Reply With Quote