View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 10:05 AM   #19
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
The real fact is they are over priced, and not for most people.

Brand new $42,000 for a Tesla Model 3.

90% of society doesn't live in the top 10% of the economy. That's something most people fail to understand.

TL : DR Call me when they make a $25,000 EV that isn't a piece of shit.

Oh and for those that don't know. Your tesla is connected via cloud servers directly to Tesla, they can control your vehicle and settings and even override any potential changes you make without your knowledge. You signed that agreement when you bought the car.
Our Tesla Model 3 has a specific use case. It does the daily driving duty to work, school and grocery getter. Charging at home at 12 cents per kilowatt it saves a lot of money on fuel. It costs us about $5 in electricity to go 200 miles. When we bought the Tesla Model 3 SR+ in 2019 it was $40k less the $3,750 tax credit at the time. So, for $36k it was roughly the same price as a loaded up V6 Toyota Camry, but with much better performance and tech. In the 4 years of ownership and 44,000 miles so far, all I have done is put a new set of tires. So, I would not buy an EV for long distance travel or if I lived in an apartment complex where I could not conveniently charge. A Hybrid is a better option.

I agree the prices need to come down but keep in mind the average price of a new vehicle is now ~$45k. When you consider the tax credit of $7,500 for those that qualify and the fuel savings this car is reasonable. Chevy will release the Equinox EV and Tesla is supposedly working on a $25k Model 2. We will see lower cost models eventually but it takes time since the traditional manufacturers need to be profitable. For example, Ford loses money on those Mach Es they build and Tesla cutting prices is forcing them to lose even more per unit.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote