View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #22
d15b7

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1 LE
the one thing that has always concerned me with meth injection as a method for greatly increasing performance has been the 'what if it fails for any reason' conundrum. I'm not familiar with the newer kits, but back in the day I had a Mitsubishi EVO VIII which was lightly tuned up (downpipe, HKS 264 cams, cat delete, muffler delete straight pipe and a custom ecu flash) and it ran awesome. some people were starting to use meth injection to really turn up the boost and timing while still running 93 octane and getting great results. the big issue became engine failures due to primarily: running low or out of meth and not noticing the red LED alert light (they usually put it down in the center console and I always thought that was a bad place for it), or sometimes the injector would get a bit of trash or dirt in it and clog up with the same result (melted pistons and a detonated engine). the guys it happened to said it happened fast, and that always scared me off of really considering the meth kits.

I'm curious if the new generation meth kits (that one in the picture looks really nicely engineered BTW) have any built in failsafes in the case of pump failure or injector clogging or simply running out of meth (or it sloshing from side to side when it gets low like on a track)? do the new generation kits cut the timing way back or cut boost (I can't see how they'd do that since it's a supercharger instead of turbo) if they sense an issue (or try to enrich the main fueling too perhaps)? that way the engine would be protected from catastrophic damage especially if the driver didn't notice that he was having a meth injection system failure.

In the end, with the EVO, I ended up installing my own custom water injection system (no fuel no meth just water) and had it set for 12 psi with an arming switch for use when I was doing track days. I didn't up the boost or advance the timing past what the custom flash was already set for without the water injection. the water was just to help give an extra cushion of detonation resistance and it also helped on very hot days with the engine pulling timing during a long track session. (basically it kept the power level nice and stable and steady throughout an entire session). it worked very well and I was really happy with it, and I felt comfortable in that if it did fail while on track, it wouldn't result in a blown up engine; the worst that would happen would be that it would be like running without the water injection anyway. a side benefit of the water injection was it kept the combustion chambers super clean and the plugs immaculate. I'd typically use between 3 and 4 qts of water in a 20 min session (since I wasn't injecting meth as a fuel through it, I didn't need anywhere near as big an injector)
d15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote