View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey83 View Post
The local dragstrip finally opened up to the amateur racers last night after doing a full concrete re-pave over the winter. I wasn't able to get the Camaro out but since the track is a mile from where I work, I decided to stop by and do a little spectating/BS'n after I punched out.

In what it seems like an endless amount of mustangs that show up there every week, I spotted 2 2018 mustang GTs. The first had Michelin PS4's so I'm assuming it had the PP1 option. (I didn't get the opportunity to talk with the guy so I'm not 100% sure that it was) It was an A10 car and appeared to be completely stock. I watched it make 2 passes, a 12.49@114 and then a 12.52@114. There was only 1 2016 SS at the track and it, like the mustang appeared to be a bone stock automatic. I only seen it make one pass and it ran an identical 12.52 @ 114 just minutes after the mustang made its 12.52 pass. For what its worth, with yesterdays DA I would've been making passes in the 12.30's in my stock SS M6 so I think both drivers may have been babying there cars a little but their MPH was identical.

Its a small sample size but it appears the A10 mustangs have at least caught up to the A8 Camaro's for now. Are they faster like everyone seems to claim? I have seen no evidence to support that. Honestly I think it depends on the driver at this point.

There was another '18 A10 GT that ran an 11.98@115 and then a 12.00 at 117. I talked to the guy briefly. He had DR's, CAI, H-pipe, resonator delete and a Lund tune (he claimed it was the car they used to develop their tune on).

It was nice to finally cut through all the BS and see what these cars do in the real world. I wish I could've recorded some video but its hard to record with my phone in one hand and my beer in the other.
This is about what I expect to see in this warmer weather...mid 12s stock and high 11s with mods. All the testing on these cars soo far has been in optimal weather.

The thing is tho, seeing one with all those mods (DR's, CAI, H-pipe, resonator delete and a Lund tune) that barely cracked 11s in this weather says a lot. I doubt we'll see anyone match or beat the magazine times especially in this weather. Maybe once it gets cooler out again they'll get closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
It's funny to see cars run in real life in front of you. I remember when everyone was touting the LS1 f-body's as 12 second cars, and then going to the track and seeing them run 13.6-7's @ 102's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what area you're in but out here in Jersey everyone considered the LS1 F-Body cars to be mid to high 13s at best. I never heard anyone say they were 12s bone stock. I have heard people with PI GTs claiming to be low 13s bone stock and we all know that isn't a thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
This is the kind of info I was waiting for. Need to start going back to Palm Beach International Raceway again. The last time I was there it was still Moroso speedway. It's funny how the Mustangs trapped the same as the Camaro. The way people were carrying on, you'd think they'd outrun a ZL1.
It's because of all the intentional hype that got put on these cars. Probably as a way to justify or make people overlook the price of these cars. The 18 GT in optimal weather does an 11.8 at 119 max effort with Evans as the driver. I did an 11.8 at 122 with minimal effort (in normal driving mode nonetheless) in the Summer. LOL!! But to a Mustang guy, the GT is just as fast. Gotta love it.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote