View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #33
COmatt27

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomile View Post
My suggestions (highest to lowest, assuming by your question you haven't been on any track before):
- go out with a club that has instruction (in-car if possible) so that every car has an experienced person in it. This will drastically reduce chances of mishaps. BMWCCA, PCA and others offer this.
- NASA HPDE has fewer instructors, but still helps you get around and orient on the track. Great second option.
- Open Lapping days - take it easy, meet some folks who have been there and ask them if you can follow them for a few laps (if they're willing to go a bit slower) so you can get a lay of the land. Learn to point folks by so you don't have to "try to stay in front of them", b/c that is when mistakes happen. Chances are you'll have "slower" cars on your bumper at some point during the day - it's courteous/expected to let them pass if they're on your butt in the corners even if you can pull away on the straights.
- watch some videos to get an idea what the line is so you can stay on it. Being predictable is key...

We'll be out there a few more times before Memorial Day weekend - if come out during an open lapping day and you see a Garnett Red camaro come by and we can give you some additional pointers. Good luck!

Disclosure: I instruct for the BMWCCA - we have a driving school on Memorial Day weekend - it's a fantastic way to get your feet wet, and you will have instructor in-car at all time to help coach you and gain speed safely and methodically. Costs a bit of money, but it's a massive bargain compared to professional schools b/c heavily volunteer supported (instructors etc)
I have not been on a track before, thank you for the info. I will look into this.
2016 Escalade ESV (6.2L), A8, Black Raven, Gibson Racing Headers - CURRENT People Mover
COmatt27 is offline   Reply With Quote