View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 06:42 PM   #21
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
I think you are thinking of something else when it comes to "boost". The absolute manifold pressure will be lower because the lower barometric pressure is a lower starting point. That's not the boost pressure I was talking about. I was specifically referring to the pressure increase across the blower; what most people refer to as "boost" and engineers might call gauge pressure downstream of a blower. It inversely is the pressure loss across the system (engine and exhaust). Its lower at high elevations since the mass airflow rate is lower, and thus, there's less restriction.

If you can spin the blower faster to get the mass airflow back to what it would be at a lower elevation, then yes, since the mass airflow is equal, boost would go back up, and the engine would theoretically make the same power (that requires some assumptions, though, e.g., similar blower eff.).

And as far as ambient temperature, I wasn't implying that it is only applicable at high elevations, it is of course applicable anywhere. I was pointing out where supercharging loses more than a naturally aspirated engine (due to the higher charge air temps adversely affecting timing).
Uhh. I think your confused. The pressure across the blower is lower because the barometric pressure is lower. Bring up the barometric pressure and boost goes up it’s very simple.

Which is why these guys in Denver close to fuel system limits can’t run at sea level because they’ll make many more lbs of boost and be out of fuel.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote