View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #24
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I didn't really intend for this thread to turn into another "for or against a 4 cylinder" topic, but I guess that's inevitable when discussing the V6.

That said, if this source is correct there will FOR SURE be a V6 in the next gen, and that alone, I think is exciting news for some people, and the potential and configurations of the V6 is what I'd like to dive into and get more opinions on.

In my mind, the only advantages of a turbo 4 over a V6 is low to mid range torque will can be much higher and also highway FE could be a tad bit better, but not much when you start talking about a 300+ HP 4 cylinder turbo engine. You could also say that it likely weighs less than a V6. Those are the reasons people are happy about a possible turbo 4. (also the tuning potential is very high, but this discussion is about stock only)

The V6 on the other hand should have a peak HP advantage, as you almost never see stock turbo 4 cylinders making 330 - 340 + HP. Usually the TQ is higher than the HP in the turbo engines.

If the V6 ends up having cylinder deactivation, then I think that washes away the highway FE advantage the turbo might have.
I mentioned this another time but my only fear is that I would rather have the V6 but if it is not the base model the price will increase. I love the fact that the LS is a great car at a great price point. If the 4cyl is the base car then I would have to consider it due to price point and tuning potential.
ssrs396 is offline   Reply With Quote