View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #27
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile

Depending upon how thick the spacer is it may be necessary to slightly trim a rib on the top of a wiring guide just below the throttle body position.
At least it was necessary on mine.
Other than that though, as BOYD3800SII said installing a spacer is a dead simple ten to fifteen minute job.

Speaking only from my own experiments (yours may well vary) pretty much everything that has been suggested does help.
  • Removing or wiring open the exhaust dampers is a plus. I originally wired mine fully open using heavy steel wire and stainless steel hose clamps because they rattled. If I ever have the exhaust system off the car I will permanently remove them as PolynesianPowerhouse suggested. A side benefit is a nicer exhaust sound.
  • Removing the air baffles inside the manifold opening helped my car with off-idle flat spots. Use a sharp "end cutter" tool for this. The only downside I have noticed was a slight increase in intake noise. Not a big concern though.
  • I mirror polished an OEM replacement throttle body I put on a while back. It made a definite improvement without any doubt. The Soler unit would be an improvement on that I'm quite sure, but it is a significant amount of money and might involve a lot of down time right now.
  • Finally (and I can already imagine some of you rolling your eyes, but please indulge me) I designed and 3D printed a 12mm thick spiral throat spacer just for kicks, being a "frugal" skeptic of them in general. Amazingly it also improved the off-idle flat spot which is now more or less gone. I'm just using it for testing but so far it has held up perfectly and makes a noticeable difference. I wholly agree that for a direct injection engine it shouldn't matter, but in fact it does. At least this one does. I have had it on and off again several times and every time I can easily feel a difference.

None of this will turn your V6 into a ZL-1 and might not even show up except as blips on a real dyno.
But it all works together in little ways, and again speaking only for myself I can feel the differences.

Last edited by DIYguy; 07-02-2020 at 11:46 AM.
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote