Thread: GT 500 vs ZL1
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #13
zl1_fan

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 (A10, crush)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
You would have had to be present in the entire thread where we discussed all this at length in order to fully understand.

There are a lot of things the ZL1 has that allows it to keep up with cars that have much more HP. A few of those things are better weight distribution, eLSD, better ECU and trans tuning, of course as mentioned it is lighter, the A10 trans and the gear ratios, etc. Which is why as we have said, the ZL1 in individual owner hands is only about 3 tenths of a second off from the GT500 in individual owner hands. When tested by a magazine and without every single last factor being ideal, the GT500 and ZL1 are pretty much neck and neck. The ZL1 has been 11.4-11.6 while the GT500 has been 11.3 to 11.5. I am not getting into which trim did what. On top of that, when the timers were removed and the test involved which car could cover the quarter mile distance first, the ZL1 beat the GT500 pretty soundly. So there is that. The ZL1 would not need 750+ HP to match the GT500. It would utterly destroy the GT500 without putting up a sweat if it had the same HP. If the ZL1 had even 700 HP it would be lights out. Like I said, the ZL1 is a much better engineered car than anything Ford can make.
Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly what I was pondering, given how well the ZL1 is engineered, how would these two perform side by side with similar horsepower. If the the ZL1 is only 3 tenths away from the GT500 with a 100 HP disadvantage, then an additional 100 HP in the ZL1 (making them about equal HP wise) would definitely put the ZL1 in front. Whether it would "utterly destroy the GT500 without putting up a sweat" or not is questionable, I would have to agree it would smoke the GT500.

Now that begs the question, what is the easiest way to get an additional 100 HP? Headers, CAI and a tune, or is that more like a 60 HP gain? Although those 3 may be enough to take the GT500.