View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #788
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
For some reason this discussion on marketing / advertising brings back for me a memory of a date I was on when I was in grad school. I had a C4 V1 Corvette. The girl I was on the date with had on a number of occasions talked about how “pretty” she thought my car was. So we go to a concert, have a great time and we’re walking back to where I parked. We were walking by a C4 V2. I noticed it. She didn’t. So I walk over to it and start running down all the differences between my car and the V2. If I was really paying attention then I would have seen her eyes rolling back in her head. She could give a shit. Either the car was pretty or it wasn’t. Anything else is blah blah blah blah. That’s how most people who see TV ads react. If it’s not the kind of car they are already predisposed to buying, the message is completely lost.

We care about these cars so we agonize over every detail and change. We comment on each other’s mods, because sometimes they reflect how WE think Chevy should have done it in the first place. So when Chevy does a refresh, no matter how minor, if that refresh includes something we don’t like, BOOM!!! The sky is falling! The brand is doomed! The designers should be rounded up and persecuted. It really ain’t that serious.
This really is true....and made me think a bit differently. BUT, I would say, maybe GM would benefit from listening to some of the fanatics and purists that are diehard about the Camaro. I know they listened and cared up to 2010 when the 5th gen came out. Maybe GM should try that approach again?
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote