View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #136
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Excellent points! I must confess i have given Camaro's small windows an extra thought...to this point i always ensure that i unlock the doors from the inside before i get going.

As far as using the window as the escape route: many (most) pro race cars have fixed closed windows and some (like prototype class) have tiny fixed windows.
So escaping is via a door, or roof hatch if available, provided a driver is able. If disabled, no EMS team will try to extract a driver via a window due to potential neck and/or spinal injuries. And if necessary they will cut the car to facilitate access. Fire being an exception.

No perfect solutions here, especially given i know some folks whose middle section far outsizes their heads...

Also food for thought regarding top shelf orgs who have full track qualified EMP teams during their events vs fly by night organizers who may have a private pick up truck with a tow line as their idea of a "safety team".
In my drag cars, I had fire suppression system that added less than 20#. Nozzles were under the dash above the column to put a barrier between you and the engine compartment. Had nozzles elsewhere in the interior and also the front of the engine compartment facing backwards in case the car was still moving when set off. I had both a pull (you can do push) lever to manually set the system off and a back up thermal bulb that activate the system (if above a given temp in case you were unable to). Check the bottle and pick up design to see if drain all contents upside down. There are also different retardant that vary in cost, clean up ease, and toxicity.

None of this you ever hope to need, but,...
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote