View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 AM   #135
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
. For NHRA Comp License, you do a full gear blind folded test. I practiced out both windows too though I raced door cars. You can’t fit the helmet out of a Gen6 as delivered. Haven’t tried it gutted with no doorpad. I tell my sons and others at HPDEs to check if you can fit their helmet through the window opening in any car they drive or ride in. Know where seat belt or harness release is end what type of release (button, latch, cam lock)- same for the doors. Harness pull up or down to tighten. I give a head’s up to new passengers / instructors in either seat of the helmet issue, etc.

I would like to know post-cage with door pad off, does a full sized helmet now fit through.
Excellent points! I must confess i have given Camaro's small windows an extra thought...to this point i always ensure that i unlock the doors from the inside before i get going.

As far as using the window as the escape route: many (most) pro race cars have fixed closed windows and some (like prototype class) have tiny fixed windows.
So escaping is via a door, or roof hatch if available, provided a driver is able. If disabled, no EMS team will try to extract a driver via a window due to potential neck and/or spinal injuries. And if necessary they will cut the car to facilitate access. Fire being an exception.

No perfect solutions here, especially given i know some folks whose middle section far outsizes their heads...

Also food for thought regarding top shelf orgs who have full track qualified EMP teams during their events vs fly by night organizers who may have a private pick up truck with a tow line as their idea of a "safety team".
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote