View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #53
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post

I for one, am glad that we have another sports car to admire. It is also fair to state that there are many who will never buy a GM or American product due to memories from the late 70's through the 80's (horrible vehicles, including some that exploded on contact). Having choices and good ones, at that, may keep our hobby (passion) alive just a little longer.

Nothing was worse than the rusting on Japanese cars like the Rustsoons aka Datsun. Pinto blow up, try the girl was reversing on a freeway when she was hit by a van going 70 MPH, Ford showed in the repeated test the biggest cars made in the 70 ALL failed in the same crash. I'd rather be in a 2300 lbs Pinto vs a 1900 Datsun B210... or Fiat... LOL. Oh BTW I did race many 2TG and 3TG (4 bangers) Toyota Engines both Toyota head and Yamaha Head, compared to the BMW, there were INFERIOR in every way. The famed Toyota 6 is a very short head with poor port angles and the cast iron block still had the boss for the mechanical pump when it had a 2bbl carb days. The thing weighs MORE than any American V8 too. Please, the only thing worse than the 3.0 Toyota was the 2.5 Nissan. Both tiny engines that were limited to cylinder pressure like any other engine on pump fuel PERIOD.

The BMW was a far more impressive design both the 2V and then the 4 V engines. I did a lot of racing with the 2800 to 3.0 CS cars back in the day, worked on a few of the 4v when they came out (could not afford one at the time). I think even Toyota admits that it is REALLY hard to build a better 4V inline 6 than BMW. My other favorite inline 6 is the Ford 200 and 250 cid, these were slowly evolved down under from non-crossflow IHV to OHC to DOHC 4V just like the Toyota and Nissan engines. Here is the link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Barra_engine

Of course, these are impressive but not as impressive as the slant 6 to hyper pack 6 to the hemi 6 back in the day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi-6_Engine

So it ain't like I hate on the inline 6, love the design, just can't stand the myth that Supra was somehow dominating anything outside of some race fuel hale Mary dyno runs....
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 05-30-2019 at 09:29 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote