Thread: motorcycle help
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Jchuba03

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn17 View Post
A 600 can go just as slow as a 250. I have a very strong "don't kill yourself" gene too, which is why my SS has had the traction control off exactly twice in controlled circumstances.

I've seen people get Eliminator 125s, or Rebel 250s and then upgrade after a summer to find themselves with more power than they could handle. It's DEFINITELY an individual choice.

Whatever you decide, I have two pieces of advice:
1. Buy your first bike used. You'll lose less in resale that way, and if you do wreck it, you'll lose less from the insurance payout.
2. For gods sake, wear proper safety gear. Wear a good helmet. Wear at least jeans, boots, and long sleeves, and my personal recommendation, find a good pair of riding gloves with padded/hard backs/fingers/knuckles. Nothing will make you let go of the grips quicker than a truck flinging a rock that feels like it took off your finger.
I definitely am anal about safety., hence why I took the riders safety class. I wouldn't even think about riding without proper gear. Hell, for most of my life I was the guy who said I would never ride a motorcycle because they were 2-wheeled death machines. But, a curiosity came over me, and I took the basic rider class. I fell in love with how much fun it was to ride.

I will probably end up going with a ninja 250, as they can be had for < $2500, ride it for a summer, and go from there.

I just didnt want to make the same mistake I made with my camaro(I bought the v6 thinking it was enough, and about 2 months later I feel the crave for a v8).

Also, how much does it cost to insure a bike like this? Its tough to find a simple quote on the interwebs(im 24, my camaro cost $166 a month to give a comparison).
Jchuba03 is offline   Reply With Quote