Thread: A10 or M6
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #128
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write that I appreciate it. So none of the much rumored heat soak and limp mode even in Nevada in the z06? The Z is out of my price range anyway. The 3 cars on my short list are a 14 or 15 c7 the new 1LE and the new ZL1, both of which have 0 user feedback yet LOL. Seriously considering going auto though since I know it makes my wife a little sad that she can't drive a car she helps pay for.
Or, you could teach her to drive stick! Then you get bonus hubby points.

Most of the complaints of overheating transmissions have been with the Z51s, which lacked some heat exchangers found on the Z06. They fixed that in the 2016 MY.

When I was there we had 5 Z06s and about 15 Z51s. Two of the Z06s were auto and I think 3-4 of the Z51s. Not a single one had a transmission overheat or reduced power from heat soak.

I asked the lead instructor how often either problem occurs for them and he said the heat soak issue is because of poorly bled intercoolers on the Z06s and they have never had a single automatic overheat. He suspected it was people leaving them in automatic instead of manually shifting them.

I will say, they would call you out over the radio for everyone to hear if you engine braked, and he said that was because it was hard on the transmissions. Maybe that will lead to overheating as well.

BTW, the fastest lap turned for my class was a A8 Z06...by a big margin!