View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 08:46 PM   #27
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I think if I own a V6, I would just be using regular unless I am hitting the track, then I will bump up to premium for some safety margin.

The easiest thing to do is just to get a Bluetooth OBD2 capable of reading live data and then read the knock retard. That will answer all your questions. Maybe your local gas is crappy enough to warrant mid-grade, maybe not.

And 11.5:1 isn't that high of a compression nowadays. Mazda Skyactiv engines have 13.0:1 compression ratio and run on regular gas just fine. Granted, they have a few tricks to make it work and their engines are more geared towards economy nowadays, but IMO the octane maps will play a bigger role than compression will on an NA engine.

The other thing is, I have two accounts locally that tell me that their V6 burns about the same amount of gas as my V8 in stop-and-go traffic, so their only saving grace is that they need regular. If their gas mileage is that bad in the city and you are feeding it premium... Why did you buy a V6 again?

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote