View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #7030
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
The first sentence and the one about un-noticed are my point.

I'm aware of the GXP Solstice, Redline Sky, Cobalt later SS. I don't think those cars lacked a following because of performance or weren't promoted. They were basically import fighters. Also the role of the CT4-V. I don't think that can be a wide spread role.

There's a movie quote about magic. It goes roughly: It's not the secret, it's the trick you use it for. The Silverado L3B wasn't received well, and that connection can hurt the CT4. If they switch the Colorado/Canyon benchmark from Tacoma to Ranger. They may just re-inforce them as segment front-runners.

GM doesn't really have the papa Henry/papa Toyoda effect in their favor.
Most certainly the Solstice and Cobalt were not ignored. I believe the Cobalt SS had the greatest impact with the 2l Turbo. One could reason that all of those cars you mentioned were two door sports coupes, which by their nature tend to be more flamboyant or "me" type of cars, and their performance helped their reputation. With the sedans and cross-overs, their persona are more laid back and or docile, so they aren't necessarily looked at as performance cars. To become a "star" if you are an automobile, it takes timing of promotion, very good to excellent quality execution, and a market of competing cars to gain notice. Sometimes a lack of competition can make a car seem less noticeable as well.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote