View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Vermont Tuning Review: Flex Fuel=Done!

To start off, I asked Brian@Vermont Tuning if he would mind if I talked about my experience with him on this forum. His response to that question was:
" You are always welcome to post your experiences with my services, good and bad "
So here goes.......

Once I decided I wanted a tune, I thoroughly reviewed all the available options. With 6000 miles on the clock, I wanted a little extra security net "just in case". Only two companies offered any kind of PCM write count protection. Trifecta, and Vermont tuning. After chatting with both companies, the choice was obvious. Brian was super knowledgeable and answered everything I asked correctly. Vermont tuning also happens to be the ONLY company able to offer true "flex" fuel capability. That is important because if your going to pump E85 right from the pump like I am, you may find anything from 51% ethanol to 90% ethanol. Your tune must be able to compensate for those differences. No exception. I won't go into detail about the incremental PCM write count protection Vtuner offers, but after exchanging files with Brian for the last month, I have a good understanding of how he does it, and its quite genius. Im 100% confident following the instructions to restore the factory tune, it will be completely UN-detectable by any tool we use here at the dealership level. I do believe this service can only be achieved using EFI live, and the same goes with flex fuel capability. I purchased the flex fuel tune, and flex fuel sensor kit. It comes with a handheld autocal unit that you keep. Its really nice to have because I can data log and review any time I want. The flex fuel kit came with a nice surprise, the correct PCM packard connector already attached to the signal wire. That connector is actually not available separately, so it was great not having to source that out beforehand.
Installation was super easy. Vermont provides you with multiple instructional's throughout the entire process. Could not have been simpler. Brian sent me the very first PCM revision on
6-18-18. Just yesterday 7-24-18 I sent him the final log for review. Over a month he spent tweaking and adjusting making sure everything was up to his standards. His response times are amazing to say the least. One time I emailed him after a tune revision with a problem. The car was "too" responsive if you can believe that. About the third time I accidentally did a burnout backing out of a parking spot, I emailed Brian and asked if he could make it "less" responsive. The next morning a revision was in my email. Brian@Vermont Tuning handled my tuning needs with a level of professionalism and expertise that I was not expecting. His attention to detail was shocking, and I actually learned quite a bit throughout the process. I really feel like he cared about my car, my tune, and me as a customer.(Brian has no ideal I'm actually in the automotive field, I never once mentioned it)

I want to talk about the car a little bit. I have tons of data, pics, numbers ect. in my build thread for anyone interested. The numbers themselves really don't mean anything as far as a dyno goes. I doesn't mean I will or won't actually dyno at those numbers. What it is though, is a tuning tool in a controlled, repeatable test environment. (much like a dyno should be used) From start to finish, my HP/TQ increased a MASSIVE 32% !! Mind you my car is absolutely BONE stock other that Vermont Tuning's flex fuel kit and tune. Before tuning, I was averaging a consistent 5.6 0-60 ,with one hero run of 5.4. After tuning, messing around a bit I've already hit 4.9 0-60 a few times. Getting power to the ground has become my biggest problem on launch. The car itself feels completely transformed. An animal compared to what it once was. Power comes in much sooner, and lasts longer in the rpm range. The difference in available power across the board is almost absurd. I have to completely re-learn how to drive and operate this thing in a reasonable manner. Caught myself a few times on long sweeping turns from a stop, going a bit sideways un intentionally.

I feel like there was a ton more I wanted to say, but the post is pretty long already.

My take away from this experience: If you are looking for remote tuning, for 93, E85, flex fuel, anything LTG, and want a personal experience with amazing results, it is my 100% recommendation to use Vermont Tuning. Thank you Brian!

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----

Last edited by cooper1965; 07-29-2018 at 08:51 PM.
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote