View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 08:33 PM   #8
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Years ago, I went on several week long business trips to Germany. Although some believe that there is a highway called the Autobahn with no speed limit, an Autobahn is their equivalent to our interstates, and there are certain stretches (not near populated areas or on/off ramps) with no speed limits. Driving those highways, I was amazed how much better educated and disciplined the average driver was there. If you didn't follow the 'keep right except to pass' rules without exception, you were subject to some pretty dirty looks from other drivers. I can see why; driving a small Opal with the pedal to the floor would get you to about 110 MPH tops, slower uphill. It didn't take long for a Mercedes or BMW doing 150 to 170 to come up your butt from behind. They EXPECT you to stay right. I never realized how bad drivers are here until I had that experience.

Another thing that drives me nuts are drivers that constantly hit their brakes on the highway with NO ONE IN FRONT OF THEM. Why not just moderate your speed and take your foot off the gas to slow down? These same drivers probably complain that for some reason they always need new brakes.

It does amaze me when I'm stuck in highway congestion without a huge number of cars on the road, and sure enough, there's some idiot in the left lane going 60 or 65, not passing anyone, completely oblivious to the problem they're causing. To me these drivers are just as dangerous as tailgaters and those who weave in and out passing on the right and cutting people off.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote