View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
"Always" is an absolute term which is, of course, dangerous to use. However, the Pedders springs are not true linear rate springs. I believe they are actually a dual or multi-rate spring (kind of a hybrid spring) which means there is a lot more going on there and the rates quoted do not tell the entire story. If you assume that they were a true linear rate spring and those rates are correct then they would be about 80lbs/inch softer in the front than the next closest set of Camaro springs and those springs would have close to a .5" less drop. That would lead to a lot of nose diving when braking and bottoming out.
Pedders claims they are a "linear rate" and I received that text from an email I sent to Pedders AU after Pedders USA closed shop. It was very interesting to me as before I got them Pedders USA stated the spring rates were higher than the stock springs rates, but would not provide the rates. My car sits 14/15mm lower in the front and 30/35mm lower in the rear with the Pedders set-up.

What is the difference between a linear rate spring and a dual or multi rate spring? Assuming all Gen5 drops springs that are installed on a stock strut (not coilovers) have to be one or the other.

Thanks,
Matt