View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #55
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
We sometimes argue these points of torque vs high RPM engines, but most of us drive these cars day to day. I just can't see the majority of us driving on the street in the power range of the Voodoo engine and having fun. I always loved the second gear, high torque motors Chevrolet offers which are much more streetable than high revving engines.

On the track, it might be a different story, but on slower speed many turn courses such as Laguna Seca, a low speed high torque motor might have an advantage. On long straight away courses like Road America, there might be an advantage for a high revving engine. We will see these comparisons early next year.
I think the performance gap between the Camaro and Mustang with only a 20hp difference and similar weight say a lot. For the 1/4 mile IMO its torque all day.

Even the 5th gen with less hp and more weight pretty much equaled the s550 in the 1/4 mile. The s197 had an advantage because of lower weight and SRA at the strip. Better for launching and less drivetrain loss.

And I really don't get people thinking these GM motors are lazy up top. They rev to 6500 RPM and to me have a very strong top end delivery IMO. It doesn't kick in like an OHC motor but it sets you back and keeps you there. I think the weak bottom end gives the impression of stronger top end with the OHC small displacement motors.

Surely anyone who has driven a cammed motor would be crazy to say they lack pull on top.
My ls3 with a g6x3 cam revved to 7200 rpm and made power everywhere.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote