View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #20
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
While I get some of the scientific explanations, I don't see how 0W-40 has any advantage over a 5W-40 for track use. I ran the Valvoline 5w-40 old formula for almost 3 years daily and track with no issues whatsoever in 45,000 miles. So if the owner's manual states that 5w-30 Dexos is suitable for daily driving, then how is 5w-40 Dexos NOT suitable to track use?
I don't think the 104F viscosity rating makes any different for track use. If you started your engine once and never shut it off again until you sold the car, it would never make a difference.

Quote:
When you look at viscosity charts, the lower flow rate first number is listed for colder climates.
That's not correct. It has little to do with the climate you live in. Again, the lower number in a multi-viscosity is the rating your oil has before it has been warmed up to operating temperature. Specifically, it is the nominal viscosity rating at 104F. Even if you live in Miami, that rating will apply to your first start of the day, and you'll benefit from much better flow rates after initial startup. I would say it's even more important in colder climates, but it's not unimportant even in warm climates, as long as you cold-start your car on a regular basis (like almost all of us do).