View Single Post
Old 02-06-2024, 09:18 AM   #1632
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
For your other example Im not even going to get into the maths, but 85mph average speed for 13 hours carrying 250lb isnt your average drive, is it? Factoring in cost of hotel room and meals because 13 hours becomes 15 isnt going to be the calculation most owners will do before purchase, by your workings anything <11 hours would take longer but cost less.
His example may not be a drive that happens often for the vast majority of people, although most people do it at least a few time a year or more.

But it highlights exactly why most people that have (or haven't) considered an EV and then ultimately decided against it. Why add time, stress, and additional planning to your trips? I can say with 100% certainty that if we had a full EV right now, I'd also have to have either an ICE or a hybrid to back it up. Why? Because I don't want to have to deal with any of that above crap when I need to go on a trip, or leave in an emergency, or whatever life throws at you. Cost is also an up-front factor. Government incentives help of course, but there is no question, that when you compare pretty much any class of EV, to it's comparable ICE counterpart, the ICE is easily in the range of 5 to 10 grand cheaper or more.

Sorry again if our views don't fit yours. That's just the way it is.

Now...PHEVs. Those make sense for nearly everyone who can afford a new vehicle. It's actually the best way to reduce emissions quickly (because LOTS more people would go for them). It's what car makers and the government should be striving for in the meantime if reducing emissions is the goal.