View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 09:41 PM   #21
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
For sure if the converter is cooked it is cooked. Could some old fluid still have stayed in there? I would think you would have to decide if another fluid change is worth a try before a converter swap. Taking the $200 and putting it toward a circleD ain’t a bad thing
Yes, an excuse to "waste" money on better "performance" parts like a torque converter is always a good thing haha

I was looking through my TCM tune today trying to figure a way to have the TCM clamp the TC clutch more, and I noticed somehow my TCC apply pressure ramp table got changed probably when comparing Corvette and truck TCM tunes. I changed it back to stock which interestingly calls for pressure at 0 slip RPM error. I am also assuming the pressure values in this table is a pressure/time, either way I don't think it matters and the only thing that does is that an increase in the table value should equate to more pressure. I have messed with this table before in hopes that it would make the TCM lock and bring the TCC slip rpms down to zero faster at WOT, but I found no differences when changing this table and even maxing it out.

Anyway after putting the values back to stock, I can't perceive any slippage. I do feel some very slight weird chutter/misfire type feeling though but I have always felt that after zeroing the desired slip tables. Looking at the log it appears it is ok too as I can see slip in the 100-200 rpm range and watch as I shift into 2nd from 1st at part throttle you can see it go from 200rpm slip down to 0 +/-1.8 rpm. So I would say its ok now.

The TCM is very slow to ramp it in towards 0 rpm slip which is good in my opinion as it gives you a imperceivably "luxury" shift and drivability experience. It is slow to get to zero at WOT too which is a bad thing as you are loosing horsepower at the wheels if the converter won't fully lock until after 2nd gear when it should immediately lock when shifting to 2nd.

The period the TCM allows greater than 50 rpms of slip during WOT and part throttle is pretty significant and sometimes over a second or two, its interesting how the TCM can control this slip but then when it really slips you can feel it, I just haven't been able to capture a log of the real shudder and slip happening I am sure the time history graph looks different than the controlled slip time graph.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote