View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #111
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Arrived uneventfully from a 1400 mile trip to southern UK to attend first day of Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Certainly the most impressive spectator motorsport event I've witnessed. I was there 12 years ago and since then it has grown (along with the crowds!).

The SS was a joy to drive - ~23 mpg. That included an hour of idle traffic on the M25 around London - disappointing traffic congestion.

We made our way thru The Netherlands, Belgium, and France where we hitched a ride on the Eurotunnel (Chunnel) for a train ride nearly 400 feet below sea level at 80 mph...crossed the gap in 35 minutes while standing around eating Burger King out of the trunk. Modern technology is impressive.

270 runs up the hill by various cars/motorcycles of every type. Ken Block was present as was Richard Petty and many others I'm not familiar with. Red Bull Lambo Drift car, jet powered motorcycle (Jay Leno?), NASCAR, Paris to Dakar support trucks (drifting!), Peter Solberg's Subaru rally car, flame throwing 1920's race cars, modern V6 turbo F1 (muted sound) to the late 2000's V10 F1 machines (crowd favorite with the 20,000 rpm V10 shrek!).

A rally course is setup along with demo rides in seemingly everything. We couldn't see everything in a day...just an overload to the senses...

The Netherlands:

Belgium we missed...

Entering the train...bottom deck outbound and upper deck on return:

Electric locomotive for propulsion:

All loaded up with BK burgers!:

Arrived to a Performance Car parking...we were likely the least expensive - and proud of it!:

An easy $20 million on the grass:

2019 Nurburgring 12 hours winner - R8 as raced...from two weeks ago:

Only other Camaro we spied:

I like Subarus!:

One of my favorite cars - Ultima. I visited the factory a few years ago and got a ride in a demonstrator...very impressive and with your own hands:

Heading home with a $85 99 octane fill up at Folkestone:

Preparing to load the train...among a dozen Ferrari's, Mclarens, and Porsche autos:

Loaded up once again:

Camaro is a wide car...only about 5 inches total on the chunnel cars:

My navigator was weary and I couldn't convince him to pull 20 minutes off course (yes we drove right by!) for a few laps of the Nurburgring! Bummer...nonetheless - I'm scheduled to return next Sunday for a few laps with family - should be a hoot!

Last edited by Tim M; 07-07-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote