View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #30
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
My wife and I had a 2014 Audi A4 with GDI. We bought it in 2016 with 19k miles on it from a private party seller. She was a older (50'ish woman). The car was immaculate and had every single fuel receipt and maintenance procedure documented (by local Audi dealer). We had the car for 3 months (put about 1,000 miles on it), before it left my wife stranded on the side of the road. It was misfiring so badly it wouldn't even idle. We had it towed into the dealership where they advised us about the issues that GDI motors have. It required the heads to be removed and the valves/valve seats be cleaned.

I was not happy about this at all. I couldn't believe that Audi built a motor that only lasted 20K miles before it had to be torn apart. The service manager advised us to "often and regularly" run it to redline in order to prevent such rapid build up in the future. We kept the car for another 6 months and sold it (due to a myriad of other annoying issues with it).

I'm praying that the LT1 does not suffer the same premature degradation in performance and reliability.