View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 07:01 AM   #14
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Here's a couple shots from probably my favorite blast to date. I got to push the button after being the detonator expert for demolishing the power plant that used to power the entire city of Cleveland, OH. Now I "just" do "boring" quarry blasting.

*Fun fact* had the smoke stack gone the wrong way, and the building in the lower left gotten hit, it would have interrupted power to the entire city of Cleveland for 2 months as that is the switch house that routes all of the power for the city still.

Attachment 1110388

Attachment 1110389

I also hold the record for the largest blast in the state of NJ. Approximately 200,000 pounds of explosives going off in just over 1 second. This quarry was close enough to NYC that you could see the NYC skyline from the top part of the quarry.

To answer your question, depending on where you live, there are times that quarries will allow people to come to the quarry for a community outreach day where you get to watch a blast go off. I highly recommend it if you get the chance. Also, if they let you be near the blaster when the shot goes off, ask him/her if you can push the button. Many times a blaster is happy to let someone else push the button.
Awesome!!!! I love it. Hopefully I will get an opportunity to do that some day, would definitely enjoy it!! Thanks for Sharing!!
hrpiii is online now   Reply With Quote