View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #18
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Anyone know of an auto cross event coming up near the Upstate South Carolina area? I want to start out at some auto cross events before I pick a track day for the new 1LE.
I don't know of any coming up since the season is pretty much over except for SoCal and maybe Arizona regions, but boy do you live in the right part of the country for autocross. I am in the Charlotte area and run with Central Carolinas Region SCCA, most of our events are at zMax arena in Concord but we have added Donaldson Airport in Greenville SC as a venue for the 2017 season. We will have 3 events at Donaldson as well as a Novice School and a Crosstrial Shootout.

Here is our semi official schedule for 2017.

AX #1 - March 4th @ zMax
AX #2 - March 26th @ Donaldson
AX #3 - April 22nd & 23rd @ zMax
"The 3rd Annual Unofficial NC Tour"
AX #4 - May 7th @ Donaldson
AX #5 - May 27th @ Donaldson
AX #6 - June 17th & 18th @ zMax
"The Tour de Dad"
AX #7 - July 15th @ zMax
AX #8 - August 19th @ zMax
AX # 9 - September 23rd @ zMax
AX #10 - October 14th @ zMax
AX #11 - November 11th & 12 @ zMax
"The Final Tour"
Novice School - March 25th @ Donaldson
Crosstrial Shootout - May 6th @ Donaldson

While there isn't anything happening for a few months as it's too cold for most people to drive very far on race tires without a trailer or support vehicle I highly encourage you to come out next season and join us. Its a tremendous amount of fun, and a cheap (relatively speaking) way to get into motorsports instead of sinking $500-$700+ into a single track day plus track insurance and accelerated wear on tires and brakes. (you can go 1.5-2 seasons on a single set of tires in Autocross for some street classes)

And while your area is officially part of the Central Carolinas Region SCCA, you are within reasonable driving distance to Blue Ridge Region, East Tennessee, and probably Atlanta Region. However there is also Highlands Sports Car Club out of Asheville NC, and Tarheel Sports Car Club, and Triad Sports Car Club in the north east area of NC. The last 3 clubs are not affiliated with SCCA but I believe they all run the same ruleset. (with some minor alterations) If you want to during Autocross season you can autocross every single weekend if you want to.

I usually post announcements for our upcoming events on the Southeast Regional board here, however it doesn't get a lot of traffic, but now that we have this thread for these I will be posting them here too, so keep your eyes out. I also encourage you to join our Facebook page so you can keep up with any announcements and changes. It's pretty active so you can kinda get to know people before even coming out to our events by following along. http://www.facebook.com/groups/ccrscca/ If you think you will attend any of our events let me know and I will save a spot for you in the paddock.