View Single Post
Old 04-06-2023, 10:48 AM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
The service manual calls for using sealant on the manual transmission fill plug (Genuine GM Parts 12346004 - Liquid Teflon Sealant 50cc Tube). This Permatex Hi Temp Thread Sealant 59214 seems to be equivalent. I have done it without sealant in the past and found no leaks after a few track days...maybe the extra leftover sealant on the threads did the job. Torque is 20 lb ft for the transmission fill plug.

Like you mentioned in a comment on YouTube, the service manual calls for using the transmission fluid temperature sensor (right below the fill plug) as the drain plug instead of the actual drain plug. It is less messy that way. Torque is 20 lb ft for the transmission fluid temperature sensor (need a deep socket [15mm I think] or crow's foot wrench) and the service manual says to use the same sealant I mentioned above before reinstalling it. I used loctite blue 242 last time and it was not leaking when I checked after a few track days. Mine had a loose purple plastic piece with slots for the electrical pins that fell out from inside of the connector when I unplugged it last time so watch out not to lose that and tuck the connector away facing up so it can't fall out while you drain the fluid. I think it is supposed to stay in place when you unplug it though.
Circling back on this, the transmission fluid temperature sensor requires a 22mm wrench (or crow's foot), not 15mm. 1/2" drive 22mm deep socket doesn't have enough clearance to attach the ratchet or a wobble extension and regular depth isn't deep enough. Maybe a medium depth or 3/8" drive 22mm deep socket would work instead of the wrench but I don't have those. There were no leaks using the sealant above but it was harder to loosen the sensor next time with the sealant. I had to use a 1' breaker bar on the 22 mm wrench to break it free. I also previously used an adjustable crescent wrench to loosen the sensor but had to buy the 22mm wrench this time because of the extra force required to break the sealant free after the crescent wrench started to round the edges of the metal off of the sensor.

The purple plastic piece fell out again (this time when I was about to plug the connector back into the sensor) but thankfully it just fell onto the ground and not into the transmission fluid since I tucked the connector up before draining the fluid and moved the fluid catch container our of the way after it finished draining. I don't think it fell out the time before that.

Also I have been using a small handheld manual fluid transfer pump with hoses for in and out but I probably should switch to a pump style that screws into the bottles because it is easy to accidentally tip the bottles over and spill fluid while pumping with my current pump.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 04-06-2023 at 11:12 AM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote